H. Brandon JonesPARTNER
Brandon is a founder of the Firm and as a business owner understands the challenges and issues faced by his clients. Brandon’s clients call upon him to protect their business, whether that protection entails collecting money and assets or protecting the business from creditors seeking to collect money and assets. Brandon is well-known for successfully handling all aspects of debtor / creditor and lender / borrower matters from workout negotiations, out of court restructuring, state and federal court litigation, receiverships, asset sales, foreclosure, repossession and through all phases of a bankruptcy case.
Brandon also has extensive experience representing businesses and individuals in preference, fraudulent transfer, discharge and claim prosecution litigation in bankruptcy courts. He also represents his clients’ interests in state and federal court proceedings including obtaining and defending against court appointed receiverships over businesses and property, prosecution, collection and defense of secured and unsecured debt obligations, landlord tenant issues, contested foreclosures, collection and repossession of collateral, business divorces, contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, and pre and post judgment collections.
Brandon’s upbringing and diverse industry practice has led him to obtain extensive experience and knowledge in two distinct areas of law and business — salt water (produced and flowback water) disposal facilities and agriculture. In the salt water disposal industry, Brandon has represented operators, land owners, producers, recyclers, trucking companies, lessors, and lessees in the purchase, sale, leasing, and construction of water disposal and recycling facilities. On the agriculture side, Brandon has represented local and national lenders, small and large farm and ranching operations, suppliers, mills, equipment companies, and production purchasers in multiple sectors of the agriculture industry.
Brandon also has extensive experience representing businesses and individuals in the preparation, negotiation, purchase and sale of all or substantially all of a business’s assets and equity transactions. Brandon’s industry transaction experience ranges from commercial real estate, manufacturing, oil and gas interests, transportation, and agriculture.
Brandon leverages his knowledge of creditor/debtor workouts, bankruptcy practice and procedure as well as his commercial litigation experience to formulate creative solutions for his clients inside and outside of the courtroom. Representative clients range from local and national banks, large and small agriculture operations, agriculture lenders and suppliers, private equity funds, investment banks, manufacturing companies, oil and gas servicing companies, national franchisors, franchisees, landlords, tenants, real estate developers, construction, transportation and logistics companies to local mom and pop family businesses.
Brandon, his wife Melissa, and their three children spend their spare time raising and showing Shorthorn cattle – a multi generation family tradition.
Admissions & Certifications
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
Honors & Recognitions
- Texas Super Lawyer in Bankruptcy, Texas Monthly magazine (2019) (Texas Monthly - Thomson Reuters)
- Super Lawyer’s Texas Rising Star in Bankruptcy, Texas Monthly magazine (2014 - 2017) (Texas Monthly - Thomson Reuters)
- 40 Under 40, Fort Worth Business (2016)
- Top Attorney, Fort Worth, Texas magazine
Professional Affiliations & Memberships (2015)
- Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo, Steer Show Superintendent
- State Bar of Texas
- Tarrant County Bar Association (Bankruptcy Section, Real Estate Section, Business Litigation Section)
- Tarrant Alliance Group
- Texas A&M University (B.S. Agriculture Business)
- Texas Tech University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude), Iota Epsilon National Honor
- Representation of national and local banks and other lenders regarding secured and unsecured loans and debt in state, federal and bankruptcy courts.
- Representation of oil and gas service companies in out of court financial restructurings and disputes secured and unsecured lenders.
- Representation of chapter 11 debtors in the oil and gas, logistics, sporting goods, retail, multi-family, lodging, agriculture, professional services, automobile, and hospitality industries.
- Representation of clients regarding salt water (produced and flowback water) disposal and recycling, including the representation of operators, drillers, construction companies, land owners, lessors, lessees, and oil and gas companies disposing or purchasing water.
- Lead trial counsel for lenders, businesses, working interest owners, borrowers, suppliers, and vendors across multiple industries in jury trials and bench trials in United States Federal Courts and Texas state courts.
- Negotiated and closed the purchase and sale of: oil and gas servicing company assets, salt water disposal facilities and assets, transportation company assets, franchisee assets and franchise agreements across multiple industries, agriculture assets, multi family properties, hotel properties, commercial / industrial properties, and heavy equipment.
- Representation of equity investors in a large agriculture operation.
- Representation of feedlots, cow-calf operations, dairies, and stocker operations in negotiations with creditors, lenders, and debtors in out of court restructuring and workout.
- Representation of agriculture lenders to enforce loan covenants, collect and monetize livestock and row crop collateral.
- Representation of real estate developers, real estate investors, companies that own and operate multi-family, retail, and office real estate in out of court financial restructurings, chapter 11 bankruptcy restructurings, and disputes with secured and unsecured lenders.
- Representation of bankruptcy trustees, liquidating trustees, and committees in prosecuting preference, fraudulent transfer, and director / officer negligence, fraud, and fiduciary duty claims.
- Representation of state and national financiers of heavy equipment state court and bankruptcy court proceedings.
Representative Experience (cont)
- Representation of an investment bank and creditor in prosecution and defense of multi-million dollar claims in the bankruptcy case of a major sports franchise.
- Representation of majority shareholders/owners in the multi-million dollar bankruptcy reorganization of a consumer retail chain.
- Representation of international restaurant franchisors in multiple bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of majority shareholders/owners, directors and officers in the multi-million dollar bankruptcy litigation of real estate development companies.
- Representation of the primary secured lender in the multi-million dollar involuntary bankruptcy proceeding of a large manufacturing company.
- Nationwide defense of bankruptcy preference and fraudulent transfer claims asserted against creditors and former creditors of bankrupt companies.
- Representation of construction contractors and sub contractions in bankruptcy proceedings and bankruptcy litigation, including claims prosecution and defense, preference and fraudulent transfer defense.
- Representation of transportation, trucking and logistics companies in all manners of restructuring and financing.
- Obtained the appointment of receivers on behalf of secured lenders over multiple commercial real properties, including apartment complexes, office buildings, retail centers, hotels, strip malls, gas stations/convenience stores and bare land.
- Obtained the appointment of a receivers over infrastructure, manufacturing, transportation, and energy servicing companies on behalf of creditors and minority owners.
- Representation of businesses in the food service industry in debt workout negotiations with primary lenders, factoring companies and suppliers.
- Obtained a take nothing judgment as to fraud and trespass claims asserted by an operator and obtained the removal of the operator after a multi-week jury trial representing multiple oil and gas working interest owners.
- Representation of national environmental company in a lawsuit arising from the purchase and sale of a business.