John T. Wilson IVPARTNER
John T. Wilson IV practices commercial litigation and appellate law. Drawing on extensive experience in both state and federal courts, Mr. Wilson helps navigate both plaintiffs and defendants through all phases of litigation, from the trial court through final appeals.
Mr. Wilson served as briefing attorney to Justice Priscilla Owen of the Texas Supreme Court after graduating first in his class from Baylor School of Law. Building on these experiences, Mr. Wilson quickly found familiarity in both trial and appellate courtrooms, where he has tried and argued many cases. Mr. Wilson specializes in finding solutions to complex problems, having successfully represented clients in a variety of subject matters, including oil and gas, inverse condemnation, real estate, defamation, contract, torts, trade secrets, fraud, legal malpractice, and employment disputes.
Admissions & Certifications
- State Bar of Texas, 2001
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2001
- Baylor University School of Law - Ranked #1 of 166 graduating students, Baylor Law Review, Senior Articles Editor
- Baylor University, B.B.A., summa cum laude, 1999
- State Bar of Texas (Litigation and Appellate Sections)
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Tarrant County Bar Association (Litigation and Appellate Sections)
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Aledo Athletics, Inc., Board of Directors, Secretary 2011-14
Honors & Recognitions
- Texas Super Lawyer, Rising Star, 2013-16, published in Texas Monthly magazine
- Name a Top Attorney in Appellate Law by 360 West Magazine, 2017
Experience & Highlights
- Recognized in Top Texas Verdicts for obtaining a verdict totaling $3.1 million for misappropriation of trade secrets in RIEX Co., LP v. EGW Utilities, Inc., et al
- Mayo Found. for Med. Educ. & Research v. Courson Oil & Gas, Inc., 505 S.W.3d 68 (Tex. App.—Amarillo 2016, pet. denied).
- Aston Meadows, Ltd. v. Devon Energy Production Co., 359 S.W.3d 856 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 2012, pet. denied).
- City of Houston v. Maguire Oil Co., 342 S.W.3d 726 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2011, pet. denied)
- Faust v. BNSF Railway Co., 337 S.W.3d 325 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 2011, pet. denied
- Bennett v. Reynolds, 315 S.W.3d 867 (Tex. 2010).
- Collins v. Tex Mall, LP, 297 S.W.3d 409 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 2009, no pet.)
- Farlow v. Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital, 284 S.W.3d 903 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 2009, pet. denied)
- Hopkins v. Cornerstone America, 545 F.3d 338 (5th Cir. 2008).
- Maguire Oil Co. v. City of Houston, 243 S.W.3d 714 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2007, pet. denied)
- In re Collins, 172 S.W.3d 207 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 2005, orig. proceeding)
- Sterling Trust Co. v. Adderley, 163 S.W.3d 835 (Tex. 2005)
- In re The WT Waggoner Estate, 163 S.W.3d 161 (Tex. App.—Amarillo 2005, no pet.)
Speeches & Publications
- Author/Speaker: Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law, State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Trial Course, 2016
- Author /Speaker: The Court’s Charge, Corpus Christi Bar Association Advanced Civil Trial Law Seminar, 2015
- Author/Speaker: Preservation of Error, State Bar of Texas Advanced Personal Injury Law Course, 2009, 2011
- Author/Speaker: Preservation of Error, State Bar of Texas Advanced Evidence and Discovery Course, 2008, 2009
- Author: Patent Infringement: The "Federalizing" of State Legal Malpractice Claims, Hot Topics of Trial Lawyers, The Litigation Section of the State Bar of Texas, May 22, 2008
- Author: The PJC Takes Another Hit: "Defect" and "Producing Cause" Just Aren't What They Used to Be, Hot Topics of Trial Lawyers, The Litigation Section of the State Bar of Texas, February 8, 2008
- Author: The Correct Remedy for a Good Violation, 52 BAYLOR L. REV. 417 (2000)