areas of practice
JERMAINE WATSON’s practice focuses primarily on chapter 11 business bankruptcy reorganizations, chapter 7 business bankruptcy proceedings, creditors’ rights, and commercial litigation. Mr. Watson also represents federal employees in labor and employment matters against federal agencies before the Merit Systems Protection Board and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Mr. Watson has participated in chapter 11 and chapter 7 proceedings in bankruptcy courts throughout Texas, and also in the Northern District of Ohio, Western District of Arkansas, District of Delaware and the Southern District of New York. Mr. Watson has assisted chapter 7 and chapter 11 business debtor clients and creditors in the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas. He has confirmed chapter 11 plans for e-commerce, healthcare, energy, and construction companies in chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in the Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas. He has also assisted entrepreneurs in filing business chapter 7 cases in bankruptcy courts in the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas. Mr. Watson has also represented trustees and liquidating trustees in bankruptcy proceedings.
In more recent years, Mr. Watson has expanded his practice to include representing companies in business litigation before Texas state courts and in arbitration proceedings. Most recently, Mr. Watson has successfully obtained for an international business client a substantial arbitration award. Mr. Watson also represents federal employees in labor and employment disputes against federal agencies before the Merit Systems Protection Board and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Mr. Watson began his legal career as a law clerk to Chief Bankruptcy Judge, Kathy A. Surratt-States of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri in St. Louis, Missouri. After completing his four-year clerkship, Mr. Watson joined the Dallas office of a large Texas-based law firm for nearly five years where he concentrated his practice on restructuring troubled companies, creditors’ rights and bankruptcy related litigation. Mr. Watson later became the founding shareholder of M. J. Watson & Associates, P.C. in Dallas, Texas where he continued to focus his practice primarily on restructuring troubled businesses and creditors’ rights.
Mr. Watson is a longtime council member of the State Bar of Texas, Bankruptcy Section, where he currently serves as its Public Education Chair. Mr. Watson is also a member of the Dallas Bar Association, J. L. Turner Legal Association, American Bankruptcy Institute and the Dallas Business Club. Besides his professional affiliations, Mr. Watson is an active member of Scouts B.S.A. (formerly Boy Scouts of America) where he serves as an adult leader. Mr. Watson is a member of the Arlington/Grand Prairie Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. and the Arlington Seventh-Day Adventist Church.
- J.D., University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2003)
- M.B.A., Finance, University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2003)
- B.A., cum laude, Elon University (1999)
Honors & Recognitions
- Texas Rising Star (2014)
Admissions & Certifications
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- State Courts of Texas
- State Courts of Missouri
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Dallas Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Bankruptcy & Commercial Law Section
- Texas Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, Council Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Missouri Bar Association
- The Dallas Business Club
- J.L. Turner Legal Association
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated, Arlington – Grand Prairie Chapter
- Served as counsel to a multimillion-dollar healthcare company in an out of court distressed stock sale
- Served as counsel to a federal agency in a complex chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding
- Served as counsel to a chapter 11 debtor in the successful sale of a multimillion dollar asset
- Served as counsel to an entrepreneur in the successful discharge of over $8 million in business debts
- Served as counsel to an entrepreneur in the successful discharge of over $1 million in business debts
- Served as counsel to an oil and gas operating company in its chapter 11 proceeding
- Served as counsel to a coal mining company in the successful sale of its assets in a chapter 11 proceeding
- Served as counsel to an oil and gas services company in a chapter 11 proceeding and successfully reorganized the company to repay creditors
- Served as counsel to an online retailer in a chapter 11 proceeding and successfully reorganized the company to repay creditors